Impermanence & Sushi

I was on a business trip in Japan years ago. Some co-workers and I were waiting in a lobby at our parent corporation. I was looking out at a beautiful, meticulously designed rock garden in a courtyard. One of my co-workers who was from China saw me staring and came over beside me. He said "See how much work went into this? Did you know when there's a storm this will get messed up?" I said "but so much work went into this, and it's so beautiful, it's such a shame." He said "this is one of the main doctrines of Buddhism - impermanence. Nothing is permanent, everything changes." He went on to talk about how you can see this in Japanese sushi. "Think about it, how long does it take for a sushi chef to make sushi? 5 minutes? 10 minutes to make this involved little piece of art and then you eat it in less than a second and it's gone."

1 comment:

  1. Been thinking of that kind of thing myself -- sand art is one way to practice creating something without holding onto it.

    ReplyDelete